Welcome to the News section of the iNSiGHT Ornithology website (https://www.simoncherriman.com.au/). This blog contains updates about various things I've been up to, interesting environmental issues and observations I make regularly while going about my day. It is designed to be fun AND educational, and inspire you about our wonderful natural world. Happy reading!

Sunday 8 July 2012

Black Duck Clutch


Today I did a quick check on our female Pacific Black Duck and found her incubating her clutch inside the nest box! When she left to forage later in the evening, I returned to the box to see her eggs all covered up with beautiful warm down, plucked from her body. I uncovered the down just enough to snap this photo of her 10 eggs, then quickly covered them and climbed down from the tree again.

How exciting! I’ll keep a close watch on this box and hope to post a short film with footage of her incubating very soon. Watch this space :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment