Welcome to the News section of the iNSiGHT Ornithology website (https://www.simoncherriman.com.au/). This blog contains updates about various things I've been up to, interesting environmental issues and observations I make regularly while going about my day. It is designed to be fun AND educational, and inspire you about our wonderful natural world. Happy reading!

Wednesday 11 January 2012

From Rubbish to Nest Box


Thanks to the person who dumped what appeared to be an old skate ramp or bike jump next to Thomas Road in Mt Helena, I now have a new nest-box! I found 3 sheets of old ply-wood just thrown on the side of the road a few weeks before Christmas, rusty nails sticking out all over the place, and collected them for use later on. Today I used recycled nails and another piece of form ply (collected from a roadside verge!) to construct the above box. The box which has been used for the last 8 years by a pair of Pacific Black Ducks (Anas superciliosa) at my parent’s dam has recently disintegrated, so this box serves as a perfectly timed replacement! Here’s a picture of the female duck incubating in August last year:



No comments:

Post a Comment