Welcome to the News section of the iNSiGHT Ornithology website (https://www.simoncherriman.com.au/). This blog contains updates about various things I've been up to, interesting environmental issues and observations I make regularly while going about my day. It is designed to be fun AND educational, and inspire you about our wonderful natural world. Happy reading!

Thursday 24 July 2014

More Pretty Parrots


I saw this beautiful male Mulga Parrot (Psephotus varius) while camping in Mungo National Park yesterday morning. A pair came into our camp very early but didn't hang around long enough for any photos. But not long after we'd finished breakfast these pretty parrots returned, and the warmth of the morning sun was obviously too good to give up for two humans with cameras! I managed to sneak around one side of them so I had the sun behind me, then gradually creep closer. You can just make out the female in the background of this picture.


As we packed up our camp another pair of parrots ducked in for a feed. These ones were 'Mallee' Ringnecks (Barnadius barnadi), a subspecies of Australian Ringneck which is quite different to the south-western variety I am used to, being much more vividly coloured with aqua-marine. It was brilliant to see them so close, proof that one of the best ways to experience wildlife is to camp amongst it!


No comments:

Post a Comment