Welcome to the News section of the iNSiGHT Ornithology website (https://www.simoncherriman.com.au/). This blog contains updates about various things I've been up to, interesting environmental issues and observations I make regularly while going about my day. It is designed to be fun AND educational, and inspire you about our wonderful natural world. Happy reading!

Friday 28 October 2011

Sudden Death


I don’t have lots to say here as I am still quite saddened. But today I had the terrible news that all Red-cap chicks in the box have gone - most probably taken by Ravens. We had some very strong easterly winds over the last few days, and my mum noticed the lid of the nest box was open. She had also seen ravens hanging around the box a lot (I was away in the field), so it seems these are likely to be the guilty predators. Ravens are very smart birds and it wouldn’t surprise me if they worked out how to open the lid.

I have taken the box down for repairs and plan on installing a catch to prevent this from happening again.

RIP Red-caps :(

No comments:

Post a Comment