Welcome to the News section of the iNSiGHT Ornithology website (https://www.simoncherriman.com.au/). This blog contains updates about various things I've been up to, interesting environmental issues and observations I make regularly while going about my day. It is designed to be fun AND educational, and inspire you about our wonderful natural world. Happy reading!

Saturday 6 July 2013

Red-tails in the box!



Last night I received a very excited phone call with some thrilling news - a large artificial nest box which I installed a year ago had an occupant! Here you can see a female Forest Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, or 'Kaarak' in the local Noongar language, peering out from the top of the nest box. The photo was taken by Brad Mitchell who had me construct and install the nest box at his Perth Hills bush block last July. From these early signs we think she is currently incubating an egg inside the nest box, and will hopefully have a fluffy chick very soon!

This evening I visited Brad and his son Thomas to see the excitement for myself, and managed to shoot this short clip of her emerging from the box at dusk. Keep tabs on the blog for more updates soon!



Cockatoo nesting from Simon Cherriman on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment