Welcome to the News section of the iNSiGHT Ornithology website (https://www.simoncherriman.com.au/). This blog contains updates about various things I've been up to, interesting environmental issues and observations I make regularly while going about my day. It is designed to be fun AND educational, and inspire you about our wonderful natural world. Happy reading!

Thursday 4 April 2013

Quenda in the Backyard!


Working at night-time and hearing some rustling in the leaves last night drew me outside to investigate. A possum watched me from up in his tree... and a quick spotlight revealed the above photo. After 18 months of living in Mt Helena, we finally have QUENDA in our backyard!  What is a Quenda? It is the local Noongar word for the Southern Brown Bandicoot (Isoodon obesulus), a small marsupial which provides a rare example of a native mammal coping with human changes to the environment. I first saw Quenda when they arrived at my parents' house in Parkerville more than 15 years ago now, and in my experience they have expanded their population since. Even though we had seen Quenda about 500m from our Mt Helena house, the number of stray cats and dogs passing through our property prevented them from living here at the time we moved in. But by deterring these threats and providing native shrubs for habitat we seem to have made the place suitable again.

Here's a quick video of the Quenda in our yard. Such an awesome feeling to have NATIVE MAMMALS sharing your space :-D


Quenda on Camera from Simon Cherriman on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment